Total Pageviews

Monday, April 11, 2011

Paper Mache Earth

The base for this paper mache globe is a beach ball. It gave the necessary round shape and was pretty sturdy to work with as well.
Session 1: I had my students place long strips of newspaper (about 10" x 3") covered in mache across a 14" beach ball. Large bowls were placed under the balls to keep them from rolling around. Some students covered the entire beach ball all in one layer, some got about 3/4 done. When drying, I had some issues with the beach balls deflating a bit, making them look lopsided. Not good. But I found that if I placed them in the sun for a few hours, the heat reinflated them. (The science lesson is a bonus.)
Session 2: Just like the first, with an emphasis on placing newspaper strips in the opposite direction to add strength.
Sessions 3: Students mached blank newsprint over the entire globe to cover all the type.
Session 4: I drew some very simple continent shapes on the board, and had the students paint in green the “land” on their globe. When complete, they filled in the rest with blue. My kids were so young I didn't bring up the issue of the north and south poles being white, but older students would probably like to do so. When the paint was dry, I sprayed the globes heavily with a spray varnish to add a little shine. All in all, a lot of fun and parents liked them as much as the kids.
Need a recipe for paper mache? Click here for the link to mine.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment