Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Butterfly Specimen in a Box

I was inspired by a painted butterfly over at Genine’s Art Blog, and simplified the look for kids with Sharpie markers and an origami box.
1. I started with an 11" square of white cover stock paper to make my box. Click on diagram below.
2. I made my butterfly by folding a 6" x 4.5" piece of white paper in half, lengthwise. I like using any kind of coated paper as the permanent markers glide on so easily. I drew my butterfly profile and cut it out.
3. I opened the butterfly and added the details in pencil trying to maintain the symmetry. I then traced the details in black and filled them in with permanent markers.
4. To mount my butterfly, I cut a strip of foam core small enough to fit behind the body and I taped it to the box. I then secured the butterfly with two small push pins – just like real entomologists do!
CA Visual Art Standard: Creative Expression, Grade Two
2.5 Use bilateral or radial symmetry to create visual balance.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment