Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kinder Watercolor Resist Snowman

This is another kinder art + book match that I feel is about as good as you can get. “The Biggest, Best Snowman” by Margery Cuyler not only tells a great story about friends, it involves the actual creation of a snowman. This is helpful to little ones that may have yet to build one of their own.
1. Each student started with a 9" x 12" sheet of watercolor paper and pencil. I gave my students a roll of masking tape to trace (the inside) to establish the bottom circle. The middle and top circle were drawn freehand by the students. The arms, face, hat, scarf and ground line were added.
2. After the snowman was finished in pencil, he (or she) was traced with a dark crayon. Any small shapes like the hat and scarf were colored in with crayon.
3. Using a white crayon, I asked the students to draw lots of snowflakes around their snowman, either as crisscross stars or small circles. Whichever shape they chose, they just needed to use lots of pressure to make sure thick white lines were created.
4. I had recently gotten hold of some blue Dick Blick Liquid Watercolor Paint, and I watered it down a bit (maybe 30%) before letting students paint over their sky. I love the shade of this blue, but I’m sure others would look fine too.
Note: I used this project for my school’s artwork fundraiser with originalworks.com and so far have some very happy parents to show for it. I have to keep reminding myself that sometimes the simplest projects create the best results.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment