Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Murals on Canvas

If you're looking for a way to mount my murals or any drawing project on canvas at a modest cost, here’s your answer. This is my Kandinsky Circles Mural fused to a 36" x 24" pre-stretched canvas ($15), using dry wax paper ($15 per 1,000), white glue and lots of Sharpie Permanent Markers.
1. I printed my templates on plain paper and taped a sheet of dry wax paper to each. Dry wax paper is transparent and great for tracing. Using the template as my guide I colored in each circle with Sharpie Permanent Markers, working from the center out to avoid palm smudges.
2. While taped to the template, I trimmed each sheet along the outer guides. I use a rotary cutter to get a precision cut. If you're using scissors, don't worry. Some waivering that results in overlapping hardly detracts.
3. I mixed a 50/50 solution of white glue and water. Using a 1" flat paintbrush I generously coated the mounting area and the back of the first page. The dry wax paper is remarkably sturdy when wet so don't worry too much about tearing as you maneuver the page into place. I then brushed my glue solution over the top to minimize air bubbles and wrinkles. A slight bubbles and wrinkles will shrink away when dry and don't worry about saturation as it all dries to a clear matte finish. Also, some of the darker Sharpie pigments may bleed a little, especially reds. Any runoff onto the canvas can be covered with white paint.
4. Repeat step 3 for each page, meeting the edges as closely as possible. It's better to overlap than to leave gaps. When dry, the drawings are fused to the canvas and appear to be painted on. You can’t even feel the edges. Sweet.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment