Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Festive Watercolor Bird

Recently I’ve been experimenting with having students start their paintings with watercolors and then adding details later.
1. I demonstrated how to start their bird paintings with a small circle for the head to one side of the paper and a curved body in the middle. Once filled in, some thick lines for tail feathers were added. To speed up the process, I gave each student a paper towel and had them blot their paintings dry. The colors will lighten up a bit but there's more color added later.
2. The students were given thin black oil pastels to trace their birds and add details.
3. I then had them go back to the watercolors to repaint the bodies and add opposing color the background to create a more vivid image.
This bird was painted by Ilana, a talented 1st grader in my after school watercolor class.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment