Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Draw a Fish Fossil

I was inspired by a little stock photography image of a fish fossil (see the first thumbnail above) that I found on the internet. Given that 2nd graders in CA have an entire unit on fossils, and the earthy imagery of them can be fun to work with, I tried making a rubbing and resist painting that is based on a simple skeleton drawing. The idea is to have the students draw both the bones and the outside edges of an animal, just the way a fossil looks.
1. I first drew my fish on a heavy piece of paper, and followed the steps shown above. I started with the center spine, added the body around it, and lastly the bones and details.
2. When the drawing was complete, I traced it with white glue and let dry overnight.
3. I placed a sheet of 100 lb. watercolor paper over the glue drawing, and rubbed over it with a dark brown crayon, taking care to turn the paper often so that the lines would show up well.
4. I painted over the inside of the fish with brown watercolor paint, and then the outside with a peach. Other colors could be used, but I would limit the palette to nature colors so that the earthy look doesn’t get lost.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment