Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drawing and Shading Lesson

This project was a big success in my after school drawing class today. I started at Michael's where I found an assortment of bright red gourds and a marbled pencil crayon that matched their coloring perfectly, simplifying the process of coloring and shading for any age.
1. The gourds come in small sets. I scanned a handful and made color printouts for my youngest students. I wanted them to observe the shaded edges of each piece, but all students had the option of sketching from the real models. I demonstrated how to look carefully at the shape of each gourd, and had them draw several randomly across their paper. The stems were filled in with pencil, as the gray matched the real thing pretty well.
2. When the drawing was done, each student got a Koh-I-Noor Hardmuth Magic Wild Pencil (about $1.50) to lightly color in each gourd.
3. The students sketched firmly around the edges with their pencils, making a soft transition from dark to light, without hard edges. For added dimension, a small amount was erased to highlight the contours of each shape.
Medium shades, plus dark shadows and a little highlight can put any student on the road to more realistic drawing.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment