Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Haunted House Coffee Painting

I saw this idea in a recent Arts & Activities magazine, and loved the look. I thought a haunted house would be a good subject matter because of all the moody brown tones that could be created.

1. Halloween can be such a mixed bag when it comes to art lessons. I like spooky fun, but have seen more than my fair share of RIP headstones, etc. I set up rules that this project was to be 'drawn' with a paintbrush (so the kids wouldn't draw tiny shapes they couldn't paint) and that it was essentially a landscape (no ghosts, no zombies, headstones, etc.). Each student got a sheet of paper, thin brush, water and a tablespoon or so of instant coffee.
2. The students were to dissolve bits of instant coffee with water on a plate. I showed them how to paint a horizon line, and then “draw” an old-fashioned house on top.
3. After the outlines were done, the students filled in the painting by making as many different tones of brown as they could. Their finished painting should have a range of white to light to medium to almost black-brown. I loved this idea from Arts & Activites - where else can you get cheap instant paint?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment