Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shrinky Dink Jewelry

Recently the subject of jewelry making came up in one of my afterschool classes but my mind couldn’t seem to get past knotted string and expensive beads bouncing all over the floor. A search on the internet turned up Shrinky Dink paper, a media I remember enjoying as a child. 

1. I used a metal flower paper punch to make a handful of cutouts from white Shrinky Dink paper.
2. Using ultra fine permanent markers, I drew flower faces on both sides of each cutout. I used a small hole punch to make the eyelet.
3. I placed the  flowers on a piece of cardboard in a 325 degree oven. The flowers curl up, shrink, and then flatten out, all in the span of about 3 minutes. I love how they become thicker, too.
4. JoAnn Fabrics had the jump hooks and metal chain to complete my necklace. I was happy to find that the jump hooks were easy to twist open by hand, so I can imagine even young students being able to do this to finish their own jewelry.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment